Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blog Post 11

LoveLittle Kids...Big Potential  
First, I loved this video! It is one thing to talk about teachers incorporating technology into their classrooms, but it is much better said from the students of these teachers. I think the children in Ms. Cassidy's class are more excited about learning these tools than people I am in EDM310 with. I think that any person with doubts about using these technologies should watch this video. Let the kids speak, because honestly, the title of the video, as well as this blog post, is a major understatement. These children are learning these tools earlier than I did, and that only puts them with an advantage to continue learning more than I may. I really believe that these are the kind of things we should implement in our educational system in America to somewhat close the gap to other countries we don't even compare to. I think Sister Hazel said it best in the title of one of their songs, "Look to the Children" Children are the future, and we must give them the tools to create an amazing future!  
 Skyped with Cassady
Water Footsteps
I love, love, love that Mrs. Cassady uses technology in the classroom. I think if I follow her footsteps, I would enjoy incorporating blogs into my classroom. I think that children enjoy the fact that the world can see their assignments and comment on them, and that is more positive than good feedback from just the teacher. I know I enjoy getting comments on my posts. I think that when addressing the possible problems others may have with using technology in the classroom, upfront, you can convince people that these tools are safe, when managed, and can be better for their child's education than traditional tools. There are many benefits of using technology in the classroom. The one I find most important: it encourages children to learn. It always feels good when you can show others what you learn, and blogging makes that possible. Another benefit, it connects students to others across the world. Isn't it a little boring to just look at a picture of a child in China? Wouldn't it be more exciting to get to talk to them and interact? I think so. After all, we have things call TVs now, with things called movies that play on them. Our senses are more stimulated by visual, moving pictures, whereas reading a book isn't quite as stimulating. Shouldn't our learning be stimulating?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome use of pictures Lisa!

    I am glad to read that you will be following in Mrs. Cassidy's footsteps. You made some great points about the benefits of using technology in the classroom. You said "I think that when addressing the possible problems others may have with using technology in the classroom, upfront, you can convince people that these tools are safe, when managed, and can be better for their child's education than traditional tools. My question to you is how do we convince the nay sayers? SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! I too loved this video. I also loved the quote that you used by Sister Hazel, how appropriate. I think that it is great that this teacher is incorporating technology into the classroom at such a young age. These students, if they continue to be exposed to all of this great technology, have such a bright future. I think that technology is what the world is about right now and I think that it should be a major focus in our children's education. I am also glad that you are so passionate about following in Ms. Cassidy's footsteps. I think that you will be a great teacher for this. Good job and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete