Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

C4T#2 Summary

Harmful Effects of Algorithms
Mr. Bower wrote a post on his blog condemning the use of algorithms in schools. He argued that the tricks being taught to students are confusing the students because they do not understand the "why things work." He used the example how he told his students that his grandfather is 94 years old. He asked his students how old his grandfather was during World War II, in the year 1944. He said none of his students could give him the answer. He mentioned how they were trying to use different algorithms and spit out different rules, but the lack of understanding prevented them from solving the problem.
I agreed with Mr. Bower. I am currently learning different algorithms, myself, in my math class (aimed for elementary teachers). I notice how some of my class mates are have trouble understanding them, and I am pretty sure they can add and subtract.      
When I Become A Teacher        
Mr. Bower wrote about how teachers are, for the most part, people with good intentions. However, he says that teachers let people OUTSIDE of the classroom dictate what they teach IN the classroom. More importantly, he says that by allowing this to happen means teachers are compromising themselves, as well as their students!
I commented how in MCPSS, teachers are faced with layoffs each and every year. Who can blame teachers for not taking a stand against board members? One act of rebel actions, and there job is "conveniently" on the chopping block. I agree that teachers are usually people with good intentions, but FEAR always prevails over good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment