Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blog Post #6

The Network Student
     This short video was very informative. It showed me an example of what a PLN (or Personal Learning Network) looks like. This will help as I create my own PLN. I was impressed by the simplicity of the way the video was presented. As the saying goes, "Simple is always more." It didn't take a lot of time, nor did it take a tricky program to explain a PLN. Simple drawings and a narrative was suffice.
PLN
     I learned that a PLN is nothing more than organized access to resources. It can be easily accessed, can be updated and added to. Getting an RSS feed helps to keep up with latest posts. It wouldn't be a good idea if you weren't able to view the latest post on a subject of interest, especially if you are trying to find the latest information about something. Also, just because it is called a PERSONAL learning network, doesn't limit the availability. You can share your PLN with others, as they can with you.
     Am I prepared to be a teacher of a networked student? Currently? No. By the time I finish this class? Possibly (and hopefully). Do I think it is important to encourage students to obtain and maintain a PLN? Absolutely. A student needs to be able to learn beyond the classroom. They also need to be able to network through all mediums, whether it be physically or technologically. A good teacher doesn't teach by knowledge, they teach by example. In order to be the teacher who promotes, maybe even require a PLN, I need to have a working one myself.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
     This seventh grader seems to have a very good head on her shoulders. And according to our class blog, she probably has a better head on her shoulders then some of the students enrolled in EDM310. But this is a rant for a different day.
     I couldn't help but notice that her personal learning environment was very colorful, not to mention organized. Sure, she had distractions on hers, like Facebook, but technically, Facebook is a network site. I am curious to know how she compiled her PLE in such an organized manner. Hers seems to be a more efficient one, in comparison to mine. I hope that she has worked on hers longer than I have on mine, or else this is a clear indication that I could be slacking.
      I am glad Dr. Strange assigned this video to us. It puts it into perspective that so many young students have exceeded what I have yet to even imagine.

The Machine is Changing Us
     Wow! Where to begin? Dr. Wesch covered so much. His presentation was inspiring. It takes someone else (usually) to intellectually touch base with with an idea. Who, besides Dr. Wesch, would envision experimenting on YouTube to persuade and inspire people? (No one I know, at least.) And what I mean by this is he wants to take a term (whatever) and help evolve the definition, constructively. He explained how the definition went from "That's what I meant" to "I don't care what you think". He wants, which I can share in ambition now, for the new definition to mean "I care. Let's do whatever it takes...by whatever means necessary." We should want to move to a day where we [all] want this. We should all want to do what it takes!
     As a person, the YouTube fad hasn't struck me yet. According to some, I still live in the stone age since I don't have an iPhone. I take my time to conform. I don't like conformity, and I especially don't like to jump right in. I would much rather be the person who jumps off the bridge after others, to make sure it isn't 2 feet deep, and I don't take the plunge to my death. I have never watched so many YouTube videos until this class. That isn't saying much, seeing how we have only been doing these assignments since the end of August.
     As my future as a teacher, it is hard to relate to this presentation, simply because I am only just a student. I guess I can relate to Dr. Wesch in the sense that the machine  is changing us, for the better. Even though we aren't physically connecting, we can connect in emotion; we can connect logically. By using YouTube, or any media or social network, we can express ourselves. Others can choose to watch and read or disregard us all together. How would we know if they did just "skip over" us or looked passed us. The depression that people get in being "disliked" could be avoided. Maybe we should use technological outlets to do constructive criticism. As a teacher, I could promote this. As an individual, too, I could promote this. Think about it: Our feelings are hurt less when a complete stranger criticizes us than when a family, friend, or loved one does so. We feel praised when someone we do not know pats us on the back for something we have done, because sometimes our loved ones, let's face it, are just being nice.

3 comments:

  1. The machine is definitely change us! I am also a person that likes to take my time with change. I use youtube quite often, however I have never uploaded a video to youtube.
    As far as the 7th graders PLN we watch I have to agree when you say that they have a better head on their shoulder than some of the people we go to college with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you are very accurate in what you have stated about teachers needing to be networked so we can understand our students. If we as teachers do not know or understand how can our children hope to learn from us? I am a person that believes in simple is more, for the easier a problem is the better and faster we can absorb it and figure it out. And finally the best thing of the PLN is the fact that they are ever growing and knowledge will always be at the top of anyone's list to have. Very good article Lisa.

    Thanks Phillip C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your response shows your excitement, and I am glad to see that you recognize your potential for growth! Learning and teaching seem to be an ongoing process that are never separated. You really seem to get that as well.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete