Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Blog Post 7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture
     Pausch mentioned how "Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted." How true is this? VERY!!! All too many times when fortunate things happen to us, we tend to take it for granted. It isn't till it is gone, or even when things were out of reach, that we really take the time to analyze what it meant to us, and how to benefit from the loss, or lack-thereof.
Teamwork image
     Pausch also mentioned that we learn fundamentals as kids, when being submerged into the life of sports; the fundamentals he speaks of are teamwork, perseverance, sportsmanship. But these fundamentals are found elsewhere, outside of the sport scene. You just have to know where to find such lessons. I did not play sports, on a team. But I did play the game during gym. I don't know if it was due to the way I was raised, or just absorbing my surroundings and lessons in school (I bet it was a mixture of the two) but I was able to gain these fundamentals. Maybe more-so than those who did play sports. It's funny, really. I can remember, back in middle school and high school, we would have group assignments. If we got to pick our own groups, the jocks would always seek me as a group member. Was it because they thought I would be a valuable asset to their team? Duh! But they took it further. They thought that because I was so much of a team player, that I would be the team. In layman's terms, they thought they wouldn't have to do anything. In middle school, I played along. At that age, children will do anything to make friends, wait I should have said "friends", because in all actuality, they aren't your friends... they can turn out to be, but at that time, you are just a means to an end, or should I say A. But in high school, things change. Every one is looking for a favor... I would assume the bulk of the projects, but refused to do it all. Maybe because it is fear of them slacking, and causing me to have an incomplete assignment. But then, I knew that I had control. I supported my team, rode them hard, and demanded results. Which leads me to Pausch's next technique...
     Leadership! I don't recall him saying much about leadership, although he did talk about how he led this team to victory which enabled him of achieving his experiencing zero gravity. And all I can say is one, to experience zero gravity, that's way cool. And two, it goes to show that with hard work, and being led, or rather leading a team or even your own way, you can achieve greatness. Sure, what greatness is to some, is nonsense to others, but it is all about how you interpret your success stories, and what meanings you make of them. I achieve good grades on 90% of my assignments, since day 1. Some would think that because it is very common for me to do good in school, making an A would be insignificant. I beg to differ! Yeah, I have seen A's before, but each time I get one, it is because I have learned something new. I have been able to demonstrate my understanding for something. And most importantly, it looks great for my GPA. Ha ha, I joke on the latter, but seriously, it never gets old. Anyone can get lucky and make an A every once in a while. A broken clock gets the time right at least twice in a day. But it takes being wrong sometimes, which I am, to make succeeding on the next task important to me. A leader needs to be able to use a defeat to constructively prepare for the next task. Is a team going to practice harder each time they meet when they win consecutively? If they have no leader, no they won't. However, if they have someone riding their tales, you bet  your bottom they will try harder, and give it 110%! But it takes imagination of the leader to expect greatness. They have to be able to see, or imagine what they could achieve before they can make others want it!
Alabama logo
     How do you enable others to achieve their dreams? Good question! Pausch said he was unsure as to what to expect, and that the best advice he was given was to expect more then what his students had done. Already blown away, but he was certain this would work. His mentor told him that it would be "a disservice to the students to place the bar [of expectation] anywhere." I can concur with Pausch that his mentor gave the best advice. To have someone overachieve is mind blowing. But to have them think they can do better only inspires them. Since it is football season, let's look at it this way. The University of Alabama's (roll tide to you Alabama fans reading this page) coach, Nick Saban, has led the Crimson to victorious perfect season last year. Did he set the bar of expectation anywhere? I don't know, but he always demanded more of his players.  He made them try harder than the previous week, and in turn another win under their belts. By always asking for better, constructively, performance will always exceed any expectations. HOWEVER: DO NOT go about it in such a manner as to tell someone the work they had done was minuscule and that they did terrible. Encourage, and they will exceed!
     As the video comes to a close, I caught something. Yes, after starting this video at 5:30 in the morning, a Saturday morning none-the-less, I managed to stay awake and absorb the ending of this video. Pausch said that the best gift an educator can give is to encourage students to be self-reflective... Hmm, was Dr. Strange intrigued by this man, and is he following this man? I think I am on to something. I didn't think of it until I watched this video, but Pausch is 100% correct! The worst criticism one can receive is from one's self. It is like advice. We can give other's advice on any topic we think we are an expert in, well maybe not expert, but you get where I am going. On the other hand, we can give advice all day long, but the hardest thing to do is take your own advice. We are always harder on ourselves then we are on others. I am not sure as to why this is accurate, but I believe it is true.
     His words of wisdom are expressed in the latter of the movie. 1-Never lose the child wonder! Translation: do not grow up and lose who you were. Let your inner child run wild and free. Letting them "die" will allow you to lose some of yourself. 2-Help others. The fact of the matter is, loyalty is a 2 way street. Yes, we should do nice things for others out of the goodness of our hears, but the ones who really deserve it, will remember that act of kindness and will return the favor. 3-Spoken like a true philosphe: NEVER GIVE UP! Perseverance is key to any dream you wish to make true! I found this quote to be quite comical: "The best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap." The list of words of wisdom can go on for a while longer. But throughout the video, he mentions headfakes. And the whole time, I am sitting here thinking, "What in the world is a headfake?" The video talked about childhood dreams, helping others achieve their dreams, etc. But his overall message wasn't what I just mentioned. His headfake, [ahh, it all makes sense to me now] is how to lead your life and this video or presentation, whatever you want to call it, wasn't for me to watch. It was for his kids. Kudos to you Dr. Pausch. Great video!!!

2 comments:

  1. Randy Pausch's Last Lecture was very inspirational to me. i am glad we were assigned to watch it. I love the points you made about teamwork, perseverance, sportsmanship. The way you linked them to your own life was great. Encouragement is so important. Children and adults will exceed beyond what is normal if they have encouragement. In turn this will help people keep moving forward and not give up. Thanks for sharing some of the examples in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you are on to something. Well done! Your video is number 1 when I get the videos posted. There will be a post on the class blog

    ReplyDelete